SEO for start-upsTuesday, 25 October 2011 15:29
Top five SEO tips when starting a new website
We recently launched a new webstore into the OZhut family. In doing so, there were a whole bunch of things to consider around SEO. I've picked the top five to share here:
1) Do a search for your brand name to see what turns up on Google.
We initially wanted to use the name "mykitchenware.com.au" but realised that searches of "my kitchenware" or even "mykitchenware" yielded quite a few of our competitor sites. We ended up choosing the name "OZKitchenware" to make the brand unique enough to appear for searches related to our brand name.
2) Do your keyword research. I covered that here.
4) Check if your WWW version is redirecting to your non-WWW or vice versa.
5) Hook up with all your partners. Install Google Analytics, link up with webmaster tools and set up your Twitter and Facebook accounts.
These are some of the key considerations that you shouldn't overlook in launching a new store. After launch, it's really all about monitoring, checking and looking out for issues that will arise.
That's where webmaster tools and analytics will come in really handy. All the best!
Wai Hong Fong is co-founder and chieftain at OZHut, a multi-niche online retailer that is passionate about truly serving people in the online space. He was named Young Entrepreneur of the Year at the 2011 StartupSmart Awards.
Share This page :
- VIDEO: Understanding the ARM processors in your smartphone or tablet
- Apple boosts Indian smartphone marketshare to 9%, still lags behind BlackBerry
- Microsoft working to unify Windows Phone to its desktop PC counterpart
- Claims and counterclaims about Apple iTV launch in March and iWatch
- Customer satisfaction survey: Samsung and Apple trail smartphone competitors in both the UK and US
Top 5 Most Read