How do you stay motivated during the early phase of a business?
The most important thing to do is remain positive. Being negative when faced with an obstacle is like taking the easy way out.
Stop to take a breather and re-evaluate your goals, strategies and your achievements to date.
I think it's very important to set yourself realistic and achievable targets and know how to measure them. When you can measure your progress it's easier to stay on track and keep motivated.
The sense of achievement you get from reaching a goal will encourage you to keep going. Sometimes I find it’s about gaining momentum, so start with something small to get the ball rolling and the rest should follow quite naturally.
I have a few tips for you:
- Remain Positive: This is the most important thing you can do. Getting stuck in a negative rut is going to keep you from getting where you want to go. Stop during the day and do things that you enjoy, have a laugh, phone a friend, whatever it is make sure you build it into your day.
- Set achievable goals: Set yourself realistic targets to work towards. Think about how you want to develop the business and then break it down into smaller sections. Write a plan and start working towards the goal.
- Be patient: as important as it is to set goals and work towards them, it's equally as important to give your strategies time to work.
- Have a plan: Having a business plan will help put things into perspective. Write a business plan and a marketing plan. Next time you feel stuck re-read your plan, it may help you to work out where you are at now and where you want to be.
- Measure your progress: There's little value in blindly working away without knowing whether it's effective and on target. As you complete a task, cross it off the list. This is a great way for you to monitor your return and keep you motivated.
- Talk: Talk to someone, whether it be a mentor, colleague or someone in a similar situation. They will see the situation from a different perspective and you will be able to bounce ideas off someone. This should reignite your motivation.
- Celebrate your achievements: At every opportunity you get, celebrate! This will keep you and your team energised, give you confidence and keep you motivated to keep working towards the next phase in your business.